Monday, August 1, 2011

Quilting Diva's VQBee Quilt and a winner

Quilting Diva's VQBee Quilt - finished
Well, I'm so glad I pulled out these blocks and took another look at them a few weeks ago. These quilt blocks are so pretty and I couldn't let them sit in the unfinished pile any longer. 
This year I've really been trying to work through my remaining unfinished projects and I'm really happy that there are only a couple of quilts left in the cupboard. This one was the perfect one to finish this summer. The blocks were already made (except that one in the top corner that got re-done) so I just had to cut out the sashing and borders and sew it all together.
detail 1
Many of the blocks have some sort of applique or hand stitching. I just decided with the quilting to go right over top of it and see what happened. It's really washed up beautifully and I just love all the blocks given to me by the ladies in the quilting bee.
backing
For the back, I choose 2 Freshcut prints that I had on hand and centered that with the front. Those are some of my favorite fabrics and I'm so glad to be using them in this quilt.
detail 2

Quilting Diva's Bee Quilt - rolled

image23
So, I think this quilt is going to hang out on the couch in the evenings with me this summer! I love the colors and the way it's turned out, and I can't thank my friends enough in the Quilting Diva's Bee group for their beautiful contributions to this quilt!
quilt stats:
size: 51" x 64" after washing
pattern: 5 of the blocks are from the ladies in the Quilting Diva's VQBee group, I added the additional blocks
fabrics: lots of Freshcut by Heather Bailey for Freespirit amongst many others
quilt top pieced, quilted and bound by Jessica

*****************************************************************

Now, here's the winner of the Summer House Charm pack and tin...
Congratulations, Indianna! I'll be contacting you shortly.

 Thank you so much to everyone who entered the giveaway! I loved hearing about what you would make with the charm pack.
Thanks for visiting here with me!
~Jessica

18 comments:

Michele said...

It turned out so cute! All of the blocks are spectacular.

Alli said...

Your quilt is so pretty! I love the circle of geese and confetti ones, but really they're all gorgeous. :)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

You quilt finish is amazing!

Cille said...

This has to be one of my favorite quilts this summer. I love the modern yet classical touch it has. So glad it came out of the unfinished pile. :)

Jennifer said...

It's just perfect! I'm glad to hear that quilting right over applique turned out good because I'm about to do some of that this week...

Jennifer :)

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

I love it! Those colors are so cheerful!

... my veri word is arpits. Hee hee.

traceyjay said...

it's gorgeous! All the blocks go together so well. :) yea!

Manda said...

This is a beautiful quilt!

Patchwork and Play said...

Your quilt is beautiful! Well worth the effort in finishing it! And made all the more lovely with the fab photos!

Terri said...

That quilt is Beautiful!

Michelle said...

I love the way you put such modern fabrics with tradtional blocks, well done! they look wonderful, Michelle xx

Diane said...

This turned out beautiful! I love the fabrics you chose for the backing... perfect!

Kelly said...

I always love seeing completed bee quilts! This one is awesome! I'm so happy to have been a tiny part of it!

Theresa said...

This quilt is gorgeous. I love the colours and the layout. Well done for dragging it out of the cupboard!

diplofam said...

Beautiful quilt!

Amy said...

Congratulations on finishing a quilt. I am struggling with having the discipline to actually finishing one instead of cutting into new fabric to start another top................which does sound like a lot of fun :)

The colors are absolutely beautiful. It looks so cool and comfortable. Perfect for summer.

Melodee said...

What a beautiful quilt, so happy you got it out and finished it. What a great stash buster quilt, and I of course would love to make one, but am VERY lazy about doing the math on these blocks. I went on a search to see if anyone blogged about their blocks, and just came up with Flickr pics. The star with the strips is the one I am most interested in. Any chance some instx on that one? No one else has made this type of comment on your quilt, I may be the only one not able to just figure it out myself.

twin fibers said...

Hi Melodee!

The block you're interested in was made by Corey at Little Miss Shabby. I think I remember it being a paper pieced block. The blocks are all 12.5" unfinished. I searched on her blog and came up with this post about the blocks. Hopefully this can give you a starting point for making the block: http://www.littlemissshabby.com/2010/09/quilting-divas-blocks-finished/

:) Jessica