Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fall Pillow

Fall Pillow
I finished up the hand stitching on my pillow and made it into a pillow cover over the past few days. There were some questions about the type of needle I used for quilting and I got in contact with Amanda and she said it was a Jeana Kimball Redwork Needle size 9.
This is really one of my first attempts at hand quilting something and I usually just give something a try with what I have on hand and see if it works (I was using an embroidery needle for quilting). The arc shapes are all done free hand and I just like the look that some of them are larger or not as even as some of the others. The perle cotton that I used was found at a thrift shop and it's a variegated thread that changes from oranges to reds.
back of hand quilting
 Here you can see the back side of the quilt top. I used a piece of muslin for the backing and left the knots of thread exposed. I knew they would be on the inside of the pillow cover anyway.
flap back
This pillow got a zippered back to it. It's just a little more work than a envelope closure and this way I could use up a zipper I had lying around.
flap back zipper
My method for making the flap to cover the zipper is quite simple. I attached the black fabric and white fabrics to the zipper by top-stitching over a hemmed edge. The white apple fabric is cut extra long to accommodate for the folding. I folded the fabrics over the zipper to create a flap and pressed with an iron.  I then top-stitched along the white fabric to hold the flap and zipper in place (I marked a line about a 1/2" away from the edge zipper). I really didn't use any specific dimensions. If you want to make yours like this... just cut several inches of extra fabric and you can trim it up to the final size when you're ready to sew your pillow cover together.
My idea for this zipper flap came from the tutorial at House on Hill Road found here. I've followed her tutorial before and it makes a beautiful inset zipper. This is my shortcut way of making the flap...because I just wanted to wing it and see how it turned out. I like the large flap and that you could really use any color or type of zipper you have around. It's not going to be seen anyway.
Fall Pillow - friends
pillow cover is 20" square; individual squares finish at 2.5"
And now my owl pillow has a companion on the couch and it makes everything seem more fall like in the house!
Happy Sewing!
~Jessica

25 comments:

Randi Skaggs said...

It's lovely! Fall is my favorite with all of the deep, rich colors and I love the apple print too!

Sam said...

The owl and the patchwork pillows are just darling. and your freeform hand quilting adds such charm.

Jeni said...

It turned out so pretty Jessica! I love your hand quilting! And the zipper in the back, awesome! I need to try that on my next pillow! :)

**nicke... said...

i love the way the curvy quilting gives motion to the lines in the pillow top. it is lovely!

notes of sincerity said...

Oh what a gorgeous pillow!! I love the patterns and colors you chose. And your hand stitching is fabulous! (I posted a little hand stitching recently too, if you would like to take a little peek.)
Have a super day.
Sincerely, Trish

Sonia B said...

I love it! And that's a great way to do the zipper/flap.

Jennifer @ Ellison Lane Quilts said...

Oh I love it and your hand stitching is lovely.

AnnieK said...

I really, really like the fabrics you used, and the quilting makes it look so cozy and inviting. I could totally spend a chilly afternoon lounging on these pillows with some cocoa and a good book. :-)

Leslie said...

this is beautiful...i love the hand quilting and how warm and cozy it looks

Cristin said...

really fun pillows! I've just finished my first 2 pillows and I'm hooked! Its like making a mini quilt that's actually useful :-) haha
Well done on the zipper - looks great!

Megan said...

Looks great, Jessica! Your hand quilting turned out WONDERFUL! :)

Patchwork and Play said...

Your pillow is lovely- the colours are very 'Fall"! Great hand quilting too!

MB in MI said...

So nice! Really like your zipper treatment!

Jacey said...

It's an adorable pillow. The hand quilting is so lovely, and I agree; I like my quilting to be a little asymmetrical or imperfect (although I would definitely not call yours imperfect!). It adds character.

Victoria Paige @ Boutique Uniquely said...

I love that pillow. Gorgeous fall colors. Very inspiring

CJ said...

GORGEOUS! Sure wish I had all the fabrics on hand.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I think I have nearly all those fabrics. The pillows look amazing together (that owl is so stinkin' cute!). Thanks for the info on the zipper.

Debbie said...

What a great pillow! Love your stitching!

LisaM said...

Anyone know where to get the fabric with the small owls? I love those little owls!

twin fibers said...

Hi Lisa,
I think the owl fabric is Japanese. I received a piece through a swap quite a long time ago and I don't think mine has a selvage edge on it.
:) Jessica

Isisjem said...

Gorgeous pillow - my last two flaps for hiding zips have not stayed flat and bulged out once the pillow form is inside. Love yours!

Carrie P. said...

both are great. I really like the quilting you did.

Manda said...

Those are fabulous pillows!

karyn said...

This turned out so great! Love how the hand quilting pattern looks with that thread. I will definitely try this zipper closure on my next pillow.

kait. said...

I am in the midst of hand quilting a queen sized quilt and I'm not liking how it's turning out. It's got to know about the needle, I think I'll get some better thread and give it another go! I love your pillow, too! How about that honey cowl?