Monday, October 17, 2011

Inspiration at the Sewing Summit

beebolt - charity block from Sewing Summit
planning my block for the beebolt charity quilt
I guess I should start somewhere, right?! I'm sure you've seen elsewhere about the Sewing Summit and how much fun it was to hang out with and meet all the people behind the blogs that you read and admire. It was a wonderful experience and I just feel so appreciative that I could even attend an event like that. There were so many fun and talented people that I met and it really was great to connect and place a face and a name to a blog.

Today I thought I'd share a little about how I was inspired to make this little quilt block. One of the classes that I took was led by Amanda. She put together a wonderful presentation about mini quilts. Her enthusiasm and excitement for sewing left me wanting to immediately make a whole bunch of mini quilts and use them all over my house!
center star - block for beebolt
the center square finishes at 3"
The day after I got home, I put together this block for the ladies at beebolt. Everyone at the Summit received a little bag of 3" fabric squares from them and we were asked to make a block with them. They're going to put together a quilt for the next Sewing Summit that's going to be auctioned off with the proceeds going to Project Linus.
I drew out a tiny paper piecing pattern for the center square and started off by making that block. The points from the larger star were made from what was left of the 3" squares. I thought the star within a star block would kind of symbolize a parent and a baby.
Double star block for beebolt - charity block from Sewing Summit
the block measures 8.5" square
One of the things that I got out of Amanda's class was that it's important to make what you love. She loves mini quilts and uses them all throughout her home on bags, as wall hangings or pot holders and that having all these handmade items in her home makes her really happy. And, I guess that's a lot about what I love about sewing, too. I love to see my kids use their quilts and I love the potholders that I use every night at supper time.
fall pillow - hand quilting
I brought along this patchwork to the Sewing Summit to work on hand quilting it. Amanda showed me how she does her hand quilting. She advised me to use a different needle and it has helped so much to go through all the layers of fabric and batting. I finished up the quilting on it this past week and I've decided to make it into a pillow cover. Today seems like it will be a more relaxing day for me and the little guy, so I'm hoping to work on that this afternoon.

I think I'll continue to tell about the Sewing Summit in posts like these, I hope you won't mind.  Breaking it up into smaller ideas and thoughts will help me process it all and hopefully be inspiring to you, too.
Thanks for visiting with me!
~Jessica

28 comments:

Jeni said...

Lovely way to talk about the Summit! :) Love your block! And the quilting looks fabulous!

Megan said...

Yay, your quilting looks great! :) It was so wonderful meeting you at TSS!

Elena said...

Very nice star, lady!!! I know from having made my nametag that small stars can be tricky. At first, I forgot to allow for seam allowances, so I made mine twice.
And nice way to talk about Summit! Sprinkle it in here and there :)

Jackie said...

I like your idea for your SS posts. Your block is perfect and I love what it symbolizes.

Would love to hear more about your process of converting to paper piecing....

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

That block is gorgeous!

Tabatha said...

Hi Jessica, I love hand quilting, I'm still a newbie and would love to know what needle you use and how do you get your stitches even on the back AND front of the quilt?

Thanks!

Tabatha

LaNell said...

I've been a fan since discovering your "Joseph's Coat" pillow. Still think it's the most beautiful use of Flea Market Fancy I've ever seen! I'm excited to read about you discoveries at Summit and would love to know specifics about hand quilting and needles.

Live a Colorful Life said...

Yes, I would also love to learn more about the needle Amanda recommended and any other hand quilting tips!

cozy said...

awesome info! thanks :)

Leslie said...

the summit sounds like it was absolutely amazing....i love the tiny star in the star. what a great block

Angela {fussycut} said...

Beautiful block! Sounds like a great way to share about sewing summit. :)

Heather D. said...

Love the block, and the fabrics are wonderful.

Jules said...

beautiful work, what kind of needle did she tell you to use?

Heather A said...

BIG TEASE! How long do we have to wait for you to tell us what needle Amanda suggested?

diane said...

I love this little block. I missed Amanda's class this year and hope she teaches the same class next year. What needle did she say to use for hand quilting? Thanks, di

P├ętra said...

I love your Beebolt block it will be fun to see what everyone comes up with. I want to relive TSS for as long as possible so yes stretch it out!!

twin fibers said...

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone!

I'm trying to get in contact with Amanda and hopefully she can let me know what kind of needle it was. :) Ok... I'll let you know as soon as I hear from her!

Thanks!
Jessica

Stacy said...

What a great reminder to stick with what you love. It's something we all need to hear from time to time. I feel like my house ends up being the proverbial shoemakers children, running around barefoot while I make stuff for others.

Jacey said...

Your block is so much fun! I just love star blocks. I've yet to get started on my beebolt block. Hopefully, soon! It was so fun to meet you!

Faith Jones said...

I love your star Jessica, it was so fun meeting you in real life. :)

I still haven't even gone through all the "loot" I brought home from TSS. It's too overwhelming. :( Maybe this weekend.

Meg said...

I was just looking at these squares last night and trying to decide to what to do with them. Love your take!

Valerie said...

Jessica - You have set the bar high with your beebolt block! I love it! I so enjoyed getting to know you a bit at Summit - you are a delight! What a weekend that was!

twin fibers said...

Hey everyone...

Amanda said the needle was a Jeanne Kimball Redwork Needle size 9! So there you have it! :)

Thanks again for all the kind comments. It sure makes blogging that much more fun!

:) Jessica

Carrie P. said...

Since I couldn't go to the summit I love hearing about it. The block is so sweet with the fabrics you used too.

Briana Arlene said...

I like your star-in-star block! I also missed that announcement that we were supposed to make a block for beebolt with the fabric squares, so thanks for mentioning that! I need to get to work on mine.

Cathie said...

I put a comment on your Sept. 26 post, which might interest you.

Teje said...

Hi! Your star block is really beutiful and I love the quilt you were hand stitching! Those fabrics are wonderful and the stitching looks interesting!
xxx Teje

tasha said...

i love the tiny star inside of the big star! really cute!