Monday, October 31, 2011

knitting

Cable Cowl - getting started
getting started on a cable cowl
One of the shops that I had a chance to visit in Salt Lake City was a really fun yarn shop called Blazing Needles. I'm not sure, but I think everyone in our group choose some yarn and needles and we all started knitting later on in the evening. I got a quick refresher course from Amanda and on my plane trip home finished up the cowl below.
honey cowl - grey
I chose a beautiful gray yarn by Madelinetosh for this project. The (free) pattern is also by Madelinetosh and is called the honey cowl. It was a great way to get back into knitting and I should have read the pattern a little better before starting. I forgot to do the first few rows of knitting to make the edge curl.
honey cowl - navy
So, that just meant that I needed to make another one. This time I found a cute little yarn shop locally and bought a couple skeins of blue Madelinetosh yarn.
honey cowl - navy
I've worn both of these already and they're so nice and warm. The cabled cowl in the top picture is what I've been working on now. This one might take a while to finish as the cables are a little more involved, but I do like seeing them appear as you're knitting.
I think I'll wear one of these tonight as we're out trick-or-treating with the kids. Let's see... this year we have a little zebra, a swamp skeleton and a sassy princess who want as much candy as possible! Hopefully they'll share a piece or two with me. :)
~Jessica

21 comments:

Jeni said...

Oh my goodness, you're so quick! Both cowls turned out so beautiful! And I love the cabled one you're working on! :)

Suburban Stitcher said...

I'm working on a honey cowl right now too! In a purple eggplant color...but not madelinetosh yarn ;( Mine is regular ole' cascade...but it's lovely. Did you make the long length or the short? Mine is the long...and double width...so it seems like it's going SO SLOW...but then again, I'm probably not a very fast knitter ;)

twin fibers said...

Suburban Stitcher - Yes, these are the short length (using 1 skein of yarn). I think I will make another one in the long length. It would be so nice to wrap around my neck some more.
The purple color sounds gorgeous! And, the double width sounds so nice, but I can see where it would seem like your knitting forever on that one. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end!
:) Jessica

Megan said...

too funny--i forgot the first few rows to make it curl on mine too. :) so i started another, hehe. yours look great! did you block them?? any tips??

Jennifer said...

They are so pretty!

I am always in awe of those who can knit. I can't seem to knit to save my life... I blame it on being a lefty.

Jennifer

Angela {fussycut} said...

You are amazing! Everything looks beautiful, and that blue is sooo gorgeous.

Pamela Nees said...

Lovely cowls~ I made several as Christmas gifts last year as they go pretty easily and are a nice change from a scarf or fingerless gloves...I like your choice of yarn, too. Have not used Madeline Tosh, yet-looks very nice!

aksherry said...

nice knitting!

Becky said...

Wow! Those are beautiful!!

Kathleen at Rose Prairie said...

This is the first cowl that I liked, thank you. It is just gorgeous and you do such lovely work.

kait. said...

You are so quick! I'm still working on my herringbone cowl. Yours are beautiful; you jumped right back into knitting so easily!

**nicke... said...

they are very pretty jessica! i really need to learn how to knit!

CitricSugar said...

So pretty - what an interesting stitch pattern...

Megan said...

Gorgeous! I love seeing everyone knitting away!

Paula said...

Love the cable cowl! Cables always look so darn impressive. I actually just blogged about wanting to start the Honeycomb Cowl - now I just need to get it going along with the 10,000 other projects I have in the works......

Leslie said...

those cables are beautiful...i love the color of the yarn

Domina said...

Looks great! I'll have to check out that LYS when I'm next in MI. :)

Danielle said...

Ah! Thank you for this post! I recently bought some gorgeous grey wool and decided it was destined for a cowl but haven't been able to find the right kind of pattern - looks like I've found it now, so thanks!! Beautiful work too, I love the dark blue.

amylouwho said...

Love your knitting! I wish I'd gone to those yarn shops too! I'm a super beginner, but would love to create something as pretty as that cabled cowl!

SewLindaAnn said...

Your cables are beautiful enough to make me pick up those knitting needles and try again. Love the cowls, just beautiful work.

Jacey said...

Yay for knitting! Both of your finished cowls look lovely. And your cables are so fun! I adore cables.