Saturday, October 22, 2011

Sewing Summit - Color Inspiration

image from { design seeds }
 Another class that I really enjoyed attending at the Sewing Summit was given by Jeni who blogs at In Color Order. She gave a great presentation about the basics of color and showed how those ideas are represented by making all sorts of mini quilts and bags. Jeni has such a great eye for pulling together pretty combinations of fabrics and I thought it would be fun to give it a try myself this weekend.
I started with the color story above from Design Seeds and took a look at what I had that would fit into that color scheme. I omitted the gray because I don't have many fabrics that color and decided to not use any fabrics with a dark brown or black in them. I wanted to keep this quilt candy colored, happy and full of bright color.
image13
So, here's the little stack of fabrics that I came up with. I think they're a pretty good match with the inspiration color story.
double hourglass blocks
I'm making them into double hourglass blocks by following the tutorial at Cluck Cluck Sew. It's been a fun small project to work on today after freezing at this mornings soccer games with the kids!
~Jessica

11 comments:

amylouwho said...

Love it! These hourglass blocks are cute and I love the colors you chose! Wish I had taken her class!!

Jeni said...

:) I'm so glad you enjoyed my class Jessica!! Major YUM at that fabric stack! So delicious! Going to make a serious lovely quilt!

Amanda Murphy said...

These are really cute blocks!

Meg said...

Lovely choices. So funny...we are still sweating at our daughter's games! I am definitely ready for something cooler.

Carol said...

I think your blocks are really pretty. I think I will follow Jeni's blog posts about color after reading a few more things about her class at sewing summit. I laughed when I was in Joann's this morning heard a mom tell her child that they were going to go get hot chocolate when they left the store. It was our first morning of low 30 degree temps this fall.

Manda said...

Love those candy colours! They make pretty blocks! :)

Jennifer @ Ellison Lane Quilts said...

Such fun colors! Great choices.

Leslie said...

this is so fun and bright....love it

Jules said...

don't you love design seeds?, i love the colours and fabrics you chose, looking forward to seeing the final quilt.

Little Bluebell (Adrianne) said...

I love the fabrics you put together for this!! They are so pretty together.

Little Miss Shabby said...

I love this stack of fabrics!