Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sewing Summit Swag Bag Re-do

Swag Bag re-do from the Sewing Summit
For the past few weeks, I've had my swag bag from the Sewing Summit sitting around on my sewing counter. I've been thinking about what to do with it since Erin and Amy are challenging us to make a new bag out of it. They left them blank on purpose so that we could do whatever we wanted to them. I didn't take a before picture, but they were a basic cream colored canvas bag.

Last night I decided to cut into mine and make it into another Jane Market Bag. The swag bag itself became the lining (you can *just* get enough fabric for the lining if you cut carefully and take out the top hem of the swag bag).
Inside
I decided to change up the outside design of the bag by adding the bottom border (the brown dot) and different attachment of the handles. I like the handles long... because yes, I am tall (I heard that a lot at the Sewing Summit!) and now I like how the pockets on the front don't go all the way under the bottom side of the bag. :)
My favorite part of the whole thing is the insert in the bottom! I covered a piece of very stiff Pellon with fabric on each side and then bound it just like you would a quilt. It worked great and helps to hold the shape of the bag a little more since the rest of it is a little floppy.
Swag Bag re-do from the Sewing Summit
So, here's my new Market Tote. It's nothing extraordinary, but I'm happy to have made my swag bag into something I'll use often (and maybe I'll win a prize!).
~Jessica

pattern: Jane Market Bag by Alicia Paulson
fabrics: Early Bird by Cosmo Cricket for Andover and Farm Fresh by October Afternoon for Riley Blake (brown dot)

22 comments:

Tiffany said...

O my heck cute!!!

Leslie said...

i love it...the fabrics are so cool

**nicke... said...

i love that cosmo cricket line. greet the day with a song... so perfect!

amylouwho said...

That's really cute! I like how you made a stiff bottom for it. And the fabrics are adorable!! I like the brown bottom. I always worry about the bottoms of my handmade bags getting really dirty...

mybricole said...

Oh my gosh! That is so awesome!

Sonja said...

I think it turned out nicely! Good luch!

pitbull said...

WOW! Looks great!How clever of you.

Valerie said...

Jessica - this turned out great! I can hardly believe it's the same bag! I haven't come up with a plan yet for mine...this is great inspiration!

Jennifer @ Ellison Lane Quilts said...

Oh it's so cute Jessica! Love the little inside bottom part. Really fun fabric.
Looks great!

Carol said...

You should win a prize. Your bag is so cute.

Domina said...

Ha! You ARE tall....and long handles are perfect for that! :) I love that the pocket on the outside doesn't go to the bottom - I hate having to bend over just to reach the bottom of a pocket. Nice job!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Super cute. Great fabric choices!

Pétra said...

So cute! I don't know what to do with mine yet.

Jeni said...

Love it! I have to agree, my favorite part is the insert, such a nice surprise :)

Paty Z said...

Lovely!! The fabrics are great, the inset is very nice and the bag is fabulous. You should win

Meg said...

Ooh, great idea! I know what I want to do with mine, but I have about three other projects I need to finish. Now I am excited to get to it!

Tamie said...

What a great bag. Thanks for sharing.

Kumaştan Atölye said...

I like it =) I think you should visit my blog =) http://kumastanatolye.blogspot.com/

SewLindaAnn said...

It's fabulous! I love the way you put together fabric combinations.

Jacey said...

Wow, you completely changed yours! It looks so lovely. I need to get started on mine!

machen und tun said...

what a great bag, love it! seeing this i am sad i left mine behind because i thought "i will never use this thing" - so much for thinking outside the box and reuse stuff..
Claudia

Diane said...

Super cute! I love the early bird line but have yet to use mine... this is great inspiration.