Tuesday, October 25, 2011

the zinnia quilt

zinnia quilt - complete
I've had so much fun making this quilt! And it was all inspired by one of those color palettes by design seeds.
The quilting went smoothly the other day with the use of my new quilting gloves. Those sure helped with moving the quilt under my machine and making it easier to grasp. I'll be using them all the time now!
zinnia quilt - edging
The chenille ric rac trim just added a lot of fun and detail to the quilt. I decided not to quilt over top of it. That worked out well, since I used a white thread in quilting the center and could change to a pink thread for the outer border.
zinnia quilt - backing

zinnia quilt - rolled
I bound it in this great stripe to help tie all the colors together and I love taking the time to hand stitch the binding to the back of the quilt.
zinnia quilt - hanging
I've decided to put this one up for sale in our etsy shop!


quilt stats:
pattern: double hourglass block is from Cluck Cluck Sew
size: 41" x 47"
fabrics: Kona white, printed fabrics are from various collections by Heather Bailey, Amy Butler, Urban Chicks and Sandi Henderson
Warm and White cotton batting
pieced, quilted and bound by Jessica

Thanks so much for all the kind comments about this quilt in my last post; I appreciate them all!
~Jessica

22 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

turned out lovely...nice job on it.

Jeni said...

Wow, you are quick! It turned out awesome! :)

**nicke... said...

it is lovely. very pretty and very bright. it looks beautiful!

Manda said...

So beautiful!

Elena said...

So fresh and bright! It's like a springtime freshness with more Fallish colors. Great job!

Live a Colorful Life said...

This is just beautiful--the pattern and especially the fabrics AND the best part--the orange rick rack!

Heather D. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather D. said...

Sorry...I messed up my comment above!

The quilt is beautiful. Quilting gloves...that's something I really need to try I think, especially since I'm about to quilt my first queen size quilt! Eeeek.

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

Breathtaking!! I was curious about that ric rac, I am glad you mentioned it was chenille. I've never seen it before! Where have I Been???

Gorgeous, really.

Megan said...

So super pretty!

Jacey said...

I still need to get a pair of gloves, after the recommendation at Sewing Summit. Your quilt turned out beautifully, and quick, too!

Lauren @ Craft My Life Away said...

I just love double hourglass blocks. i think that they might be my all-time favorite block. Great color combo!

CJ said...

What a beauty! So many great fabrics highlighted in that quilt. Such great colors all hanging out together. GOOD JOB!

Valerie said...

Jessica - this turned out so great! Such fun, happy colors. Some of those Heather Bailey fabrics are on my list of all time favorites...imagine my delight when I scored a fat quarter from this line at the FQ swap at summit! I'm cuddling under a quilt made with this line right now!

Franziska said...

so nice, I really like it.
How fast you are. I'm a snail in relation to you...

Superior Threads said...

Your quilt is really beautiful. It makes me happy looking at. You did a great job. I like the rick rack.

Ricci

Dolores said...

Hi Jessica

I really love this quilt. It's not the colours I would normally gravitate towards (pinks yes, oranges no) but I just love the whole combination and the binding fabric is too sweet. The pattern is a lovely one too, I must put that on my list. Great job!!

dxx

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

It's beautiful -- you're an inspiration! I'm so glad I found your site.

maria said...

This is beautiful. Taking a palette from Design Seeds looks like a great way of choosing the colour scheme for a quilt.I must try it.

April (Polkadot Sparrow) said...

What a great piece! So happy and colorful. Like your color scheme idea. :)

Katherine Skene said...

Love the rick rack! I've always adored it, but I'm never really sure how to use it. I think I'll have to try this ...

Jules said...

it's beautiful. what is the backing fabric? i love it.