Thursday, November 10, 2011

three pears mini quilt

three pears mini quilt - stitching
Who knew I'd really enjoy doing all that hand stitching?! It was fun to do on a small piece and I'm sure I'll visit that again soon.
three pears mini quilt
I like the way the grid background has turned out. If you're wondering how I did that, I used a water soluble pencil and my quilting ruler that I use with the rotary cutter to mark out the lines. Mine are 1" apart and I marked about three lines at a time so that they wouldn't disappear before I got to stitch them (the "chalk" or whatever is in the pencil tends to rub off very easily).
three pears mini quilt - detail
The design was inspired by a set of note cards that I have with pears on them. I drew the pears out myself and they are raw edge appliqued using Steam-A-Seam.
three pears mini quilt as a pillow
I really like to have things that can do more than function, so I've made the back of this mini quilt into a pillow cover. It's nice to have something that I could hang on the wall or use as a table topper or pillow. But, I think I really like it as a pillow the best.

mini quilt details:
size: 18" x 21"
design: inspired by a set of note cards
fabrics: Kona cotton in Bone, Flea Market Fancy
handquilted with perle cotton #8
needle for hand stitching: Jeana Kimball Redwork Needle size 9

Tomorrow I'm going to link up to amylouwho's mini quilt challenge. I've got a special post tomorrow and a giveaway, so stop by again if you have the chance!




Are you ready with a mini quilt to share? It can be simple or complex, just make something you enjoy and have fun with it! There's even prizes to win!

I'm also linking up with Stitched in Color's Celebrate Color event!

~Jessica

44 comments:

Jolene said...

love, Love, LOVE this!! Make sure you add it to the Sew Mama Sew Mini Quilt Contest too!

Debbie said...

This is absolutely darling!! Fantastic job in execution of your idea. And yes, I'm ready with a mini!

Kelsey said...

I LOVE this! So pretty and the pears and the hand stitching ugh I just can't get enough of it!

Jeni said...

SO cute! Love it! The hand quilting is perfect with the pears! :)

Angela {fussycut} said...

This is gorgeous! Feel free to send it to me for Christmas. ;)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What a beauty Jessica! I LOVE everything about it.

Heather D. said...

This is a wonderful contribution to the mini quilt challenge. I love the pears.

quiltercaroline said...

I really love your little quilt/pillow. the design is lovey and the hand quilting so effective. You have really inspired me to have a go as my hands are now itching it hand quilt something! Thank you for sharing.

marycatharine said...

So pretty! The hand quilting really shines.

Melanie said...

Oooh, I LOVE this! So cute!

Cindy said...

It's so darn cute! I love it!!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You make it look so easy! Love that trio of pears. Just so you know -- I just blogged about the pillow I made using your design. It has become my all-time favorite living room pillow. See you tomorrow at the challenge.

AnneMarie said...

BEAUTIFUL hand quilting!

Linz said...

SO CUTE!! I can't believe you did all that hand stitching!! It's fabulous!!!

Valerie said...

Jessica - this turned out awesome! I love everything about it! I'm going to work on my post tonight to link up with Amy's party - so fun!

Molly said...

I love the hand quilting. And I love your fabric choices!

Alisa said...

It's beautiful!

Terri said...

seriously awesome!!!

Dawnmarie said...

It's so pretty! Love how it turned out.

Susie at ProsperityStuff said...

I LOVE the pears! Beautiful work! Great idea making it a multipurpose piece! I've been doing patchwork pumpkins, but I'm loving the apples & pears I'm seeing in other people's work! Thanks for the inspiration!

Carrie P. said...

OH, it is perfect. I love using cross hatching in quilting.
A Hera tool is great to mark for quilting too. No marks to worry about getting out of your fabric when you are done.

Bree said...

Oh. Emm. Freaking. Gee.
TO DIE FOR!

curlyqmosaics said...

I love the way this turned out. Beautiful combination of fabric and swing skills!!!

notes of sincerity said...

Love love love your pillow cover! Those stitches are soo charming! :o)

Kelly Irene said...

wow! This is really gorgeous, and your hand quilting looks fabulous! I am pinning this...it is really beautiful!

KellyS said...

Beautiful! Your hand quilting is amazing! I can not get my stitches that evenly spaced, but I guess it takes practice. Love the pillow too!

Dana - Old Red Barn Co. said...

Holy moly! This is incredibly inspiring! I love it!

elizabeth said...

Fabulous : ) Great choice of fabric!

Megan said...

So pretty! I LOVE your hand stitching!

Jacey said...

Your hand stitching is fabulous! It adds so much to the already adorable quilt! Love, love, love!

maria said...

This is so beautiful. Love everything about it!

Teje said...

Wow, your mini quilt is fantastic! I love everything in it!
x Teje

Dayna said...

I absolutely love this! Pears are such perfect little accents for decorating, aren't they?

Darci said...

Yours is awesome and I totally agree I always love pillows the best and I made mine into a pillow too! Your hand stitching is so perfect I have no liking for hand stitching myself mine would never look good :)

Heather said...

I love this! Your fabric choices are just awesome, and making it work as a pillow or wall hanging, just genius. ;o)

Toni said...

I think I'm echoing everyone here, but this is AMAZING! Love your choice of quilting, and I cannot believe how flawless your hand stitching is! Beautiful fabric choices as well!

CityHouseStudio said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!
I just love your handquilting, it's amazing and inspiring!

Catherine said...

Love how this has turned out! Your quilting is perfect.

Lisa Ann said...

This is so nice! What a great project...nice pattern, wonderful fabric, great quilting! Love it!

Nina... said...

Great idea and perfect for the fall season.

Eva said...

So pretty and such a great and happy design!

Rachel Hauser said...

Oh, this is amazing! Glad you joined in.

Aunt Marti said...

Congratulations on your win!

Carrie P. said...

congrats! I just saw you won. Well done!