Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Pretty Paisley Quilt top

Pretty Paisley flannel fabrics
So, here's where I left off with my previous post. I had this stack of Pretty Paisley flannel fat quarters and a panel print and I had to decide what I was going to do with it all. It's a little intimidating to not have a plan for them before they arrived, but I wanted to see exactly what the scale and design of the fabrics looked like. I decided to look through some quilting books for inspiration. There's a quilt that I came across in Camille Roskelley's book called "Simplify" and I knew I could use that layout and it would look great with these fabrics and I'd be able to utilize the panel print. Sometimes it just takes a little looking around to find the perfect pattern fit for your fabrics. I started out by making a drawing for my quilt because I knew I'd have to accommodate for the amount of fabrics that I had. My block sizes and layout are a little different than Camille's but it's basically the same quilt design... just a little smaller (please see Camille's book if you'd like to make a quilt like this).
pretty paisley - a
I started out by choosing one of the panel prints that I had cut into squares. It needed to be a little larger, so I added some of the great striped print that is printed near the selvages of the panel print.
pretty paisley - b
The white bits showing on the striped print would disappear with the seam allowance once everything was sewn together. It was great just to be able to use that part of the fabric.
Pretty Paisley quilt pieces - c
I then cut all the rest of my fabrics into squares and the pink paisley was cut into strips for a border.
pretty paisley - d
I started by laying everything out on the floor and here you can see I've started to sew the quilt top together. I fussy cut the rest of the panel print centers to add some more interest to the top.
pretty paisley - e
Here you can see I've sewn the center portion together. At this time, I decided to make the pink paisley border a little different and extend the edges to the outer sides of the quilt. I think I had just about 1/2" of fabric left over from the fat quarter. It couldn't have turned out any better!
Pretty Paisley quilt top - f
And here you can see the finished quilt top. It's so warm and cheerful already!
Pretty Paisley quilt top - g
The size of it ended up being more of a baby sized quilt and Lesley generously sent me some more fabric for a border and binding so that it could be larger. I really wanted to snuggle up on the couch with this quilt all winter and it needed to be a little bigger. I'll be back with how it all turned out shortly!
~Jessica

17 comments:

Michele said...

It's really cute!

Kellye Quilts said...

It really is adorable! : )

Jennifer said...

this is fabulous! i love how it turned out!

Patchwork and Play said...

This is really lovely! I especially love the feature you have made of one of the panels! Gorgeous!

notes of sincerity said...

Your quilt looks fabulous! :o)

Dan R said...

Love the panel placement. Those prints are so homey.

Jeni said...

So sweet! Love how you framed that sweet panel square! :)

Leslie said...

i love this...what a great color palette.

Domina said...

My children's favorite quilt is made from all flannels. Perhaps this would be a good line to make another quilt with! It's hard to get 4 kids under a toddler-sized quilt. :)

Caty said...

LOVE the colors in this fabric! What a great quilt!! I really enjoy seeing what you are going to share next! :-) Gives me inspiration!

Melissa {AllSewnUp} said...

I love how some fabrics have small prints and some have larger prints, really make it fun to look at!

Although I have the floor space to lay my quilts out, it is impossible for it to survive there with all the kids and dogs (they are a bit unruly) :)

Modern Amish said...

Very Cute Jessica! Love your fussy cutting.

Jennifer @ Ellison Lane Quilts said...

Gosh that looks snuggly and warm- I love it!

Shocking Hocking said...

great quilt - very bright and just right for snuggling under

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

This is really cool. I love the fabrics.

Diane said...

This is adorable!

Manda said...

Lovely!