So, here's where I left off with my previous post. I had this stack of Pretty Paisley flannel fat quarters and a panel print and I had to decide what I was going to do with it all. It's a little intimidating to not have a plan for them before they arrived, but I wanted to see exactly what the scale and design of the fabrics looked like. I decided to look through some quilting books for inspiration. There's a quilt that I came across in Camille Roskelley's book called "Simplify" and I knew I could use that layout and it would look great with these fabrics and I'd be able to utilize the panel print. Sometimes it just takes a little looking around to find the perfect pattern fit for your fabrics. I started out by making a drawing for my quilt because I knew I'd have to accommodate for the amount of fabrics that I had. My block sizes and layout are a little different than Camille's but it's basically the same quilt design... just a little smaller (please see Camille's book if you'd like to make a quilt like this).
I started out by choosing one of the panel prints that I had cut into squares. It needed to be a little larger, so I added some of the great striped print that is printed near the selvages of the panel print.
The white bits showing on the striped print would disappear with the seam allowance once everything was sewn together. It was great just to be able to use that part of the fabric.
I then cut all the rest of my fabrics into squares and the pink paisley was cut into strips for a border.
I started by laying everything out on the floor and here you can see I've started to sew the quilt top together. I fussy cut the rest of the panel print centers to add some more interest to the top.
Here you can see I've sewn the center portion together. At this time, I decided to make the pink paisley border a little different and extend the edges to the outer sides of the quilt. I think I had just about 1/2" of fabric left over from the fat quarter. It couldn't have turned out any better!
And here you can see the finished quilt top. It's so warm and cheerful already!
The size of it ended up being more of a baby sized quilt and Lesley generously sent me some more fabric for a border and binding so that it could be larger. I really wanted to snuggle up on the couch with this quilt all winter and it needed to be a little bigger. I'll be back with how it all turned out shortly!