Wednesday, January 11, 2012

pulling out the trip around the world

trip around the world - stacks of rows
I pulled this quilt out again and started sewing a few more rows together. It's always fun to see what color shows up in the next round since I've forgotten how I placed them all.
trip around the world - layers of rows
When I picked this quilt up to put it away for a while, I organized all the rows into this plastic shoebox tote. They're all separated by a piece of tissue paper. Looks like I have quite a bit of piecing ahead of me!
adding more rows
Some people asked about how I have kept the rows sewn straight and I thought I'd share a tip that I've found helpful in doing that. Maybe this will help you in piecing small pieces, too.
something I've learned while sewing all these little squares together
When sewing the individual squares together, I stagger where I start and stop my stitching line. On one row, I start at the top and on the next I'll start stitching from the bottom. That seems to account for any "pull" or slight curve I may have in stitching... which really can distort the whole line once you get farther to the end.
I've added arrows pointing to the thread tails in these two pictures to show where I ended my stitching.
a tip for getting a straight row of small pieced squares
I hope this makes sense and helps you in your piecing!
~Jessica

22 comments:

wishes, true and kind said...

Interesting tip! I'm going to give it a try. Love your colors and fabrics, and it will be fun to watch it grow!

Dee said...

I'm so excited to see this quilt when it's done! It has inspired me from the first post you did about it. Love the colors! Thanks for the tip too!

Stephanie said...

Those colors are delicious! And thanks for sharing that tip - I'd never thought of doing it that way! :)

randi said...

this is sure to be a lovely quilt. the prints you chose are just perfect!

Melissa @ Happy Quilting said...

What a great little tip. Thanks Jessica!! I am so excited to see this whole quilt come together, it is going to be amazing!!!

Linz said...

That is a great tip! Thanks!

That looks so gorgeous!!

Svetlana said...

Great tip. Thanks. Your quilt is going to look fabulous! I love how organized all the little pieces are.

Lynda said...

So I guess you are not chain piecing any of this. How are you pressing your seams, open or to one side?

Richard Healey said...

Very good tip. I tend to have curved sewing (new at this only a month into my quilting) and this would defently make my curves balance out.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com/

mindingmomma said...

Can't wait to see a finished top. Thanks for the great tip.

Live a Colorful Life said...

such pretty colors. I see some of my very favorites in there. Great tip. I'm going to give it a try for sure!

Jacey said...

This one is very high on my WANT list. I love the fabrics you've chosen so far, and the stack of piecing ahead of you is big. It will be so amazing when you are finished, though!

Melissa {AllSewnUp} said...

That's a great tip. So true about the pulling, which really starts to add up with so many seams!
That green apple print is adorable!

twin fibers said...

Thanks everyone!

Lynda - No, I'm not chain piecing this. When I cut this one out, I really wanted to see what it was all going to look like when it was finished, so I chose to lay out the squares individually. Since it is sewn together on the diagonal, I'm sewing each row together separately. Maybe it's a more tedious process, but I'm enjoying it. :)
Yes, the seams are getting pressed to one side and I'm alternating the direction with each row, so that they nest when I sew them together.
~Jessica

**nicke... said...

i do the same thing. it looks beautiful!

Shocking Hocking said...

so organised! gorgeous colours in yout trip

Megan said...

Oh wow Jessica! I have one of these in the works for later down the road, but I have to say, your color combination is divine! Can't wait to see it finished!

Valerie said...

I love the look of this quilt ! The Heather Bailey fabrics are some of my all time favorites!

Thread OvMetal said...

What a great tip for keeping it straight and balanced!

Thank you!

Elena said...

Great tip! I always have that problem. And gorgeous blocks, too! Can't wait to see it finished!!

Leanne said...

Your quilt is beautiful...it will be amazing when it's done. The colours are so fresh

password_quilt said...

Thanks for this great tip! I am surely gonna give it a try.