Monday, March 5, 2012

fabric and small projects

hello!
I know it's been a little while since I've been in this space. I thought I'd stop by today and share with you what I've been working on craft wise and these new fabrics.
 Cosmic Burst Fabric - by Mark Cesarik
I received these beautiful samples from Mark Cesarik last month. Aren't they pretty?! The bold, saturated colors and kaleidoscope looking prints are really fun. I especially like the limey green and orange and magenta prints!
 My creation
These are from Mark's "Cosmic Burst" collection with Free Spirit and will be starting to ship in April. Right on time for some spring and summer sewing!
place mats and napkins
fabrics: Dolce collection by Tanya Whelan for Free Spirit
The week before last, I was working a lot on this set of 6 napkins and place mats.  My husband and I had a wedding to attend and I knew that the bride likes some of the things that I sew. Facebook helped me figure out that her favorite color was orange, so I choose these fabrics from my local quilt shop to work with.
The place mat is simply a small whole cloth quilt. I chose to bind it with a dark brown color. I thought that the simplicity of the place mat would work well with any type of dinnerware that they have.
mitered corner napkins
The napkins were made with mitered corners. I love they way they're made... I can see me making a lot more of these for my family in the future (would be a great way to use up some some fabrics that have been sitting in my stash). They measure 24" square (I started out with a 26.5" square).
The directions for making the napkins came from a Martha Stewart book, but I found this tutorial through Sew, Mama, Sew! that's the same idea if you would like a tutorial.
Crofter's Cowl - finished
I've also been bitten by the knitting and crocheting bug again. I remember knitting quite a bit when I was young. I even knit a really pretty layette for my Cabbage Patch baby doll... remember those?!
I've been trying to make some small projects to help me understand some of the knitting terms and stitches again. The Crofter's Cowl in the picture above helped me figure out some lace knitting and reading a chart. I'm working my way up to knitting a sweater and I can't wait to jump into that project!
Sunburst squares
This project is more of a long term project. It's a crocheted square called the Sunburst Granny Square. Maybe someday I'll have a pretty sunburst afghan... if I can stick with it long enough to make all the blocks needed! ;)
Quince and Co. Lark yarn
The gorgeous yarns (lark) are from Quince and Co.. They are a really nice wool yarn in a worsted weight and I especially like that they are made with American wool. They have so many pretty colors. I hope the ones that I picked out end up working nice together.

Ok, I must get going as another day is flying by!
::hint, hint:: I'll be back later this week with a giveaway
~Jessica

13 comments:

Suburban Stitcher said...

I'd love to hear about the quince yarns...I've been drooling over them for quite a while now, but haven't purchased yet! I love the colors you chose.

Jeni said...

I was just thinking of you this weekend! Glad to hear you're well! Love your yarn projects, that afghan is going to be amazing :)

MeganAnne said...

Loved seeing your napkins/placemat set. Orange is such a fun color!

I followed the MS directions for napkins once {a set of 4} and then figured out a way to do with without so much pressing. I shared a little tutorial of that here: http://thelifeofmegananne.blogspot.com/2011/08/heather-meet-martha-napkin-tutorial.html incase you're interested.

Happy Sewing!

Jodi said...

So many beautiful projects! I'm especially enamored of your sunburst granny square project.

I love the idea of using Lark for a crochet throw that you can use and treasure every day.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Very nice wedding gift...I really love the orange

Live a Colorful Life said...

The wedding gift is beautiful! Love the crochet too. I've been bit by the knitting/crocheting bug too.

Tsoniki Crazy Bull said...

The fabric samples are beautiful! And I love the yarn, I have every desire to learn to knit because yarn is so soft and wonderful feeling. But I will probably never learn to. LOL

KerryQ said...

Ive had placemats on the back burner for ages. Thanks for the inspiration to get going. And now learning to knit/crochet is on the list.

Jacey said...

Your napkins are lovely, and I"m sure they will be an appreciated gift! I'm making some napkins for wedding favors, but using a different method.

The pile of Quince yarn is divine!

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

Everything looks wonderful! I especially love those napkins, what I wonderful wedding gift idea!!

I can't crochet other than for finishing my knitted items, but those Granny Squares make me want to learn right away -- wow!

Chris said...

Hi ladies, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Chris said...

Hi ladies, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Rebecca said...

I was wondering if you could tell me the name of the beige yarn that is pictured... is it Egret?