Thursday, May 3, 2012

a few of my favorite patterns...

Hello!
I've been taking a little break from so much sewing & blogging the past few months, but I thought I'd pop in today and share with you some of my favorite patterns!

I always think a pattern is a good one if I've actually made it more than once. And the three patterns that I'm sharing today are all ones that I've made many times & again within the past few weeks.
Maddie Top
The first one up is the Maddie Top by Sis Boom. The top is quite simple to make, but a little fiddly with the shoulder straps. It's not difficult, it just takes some time to do all the necessary steps. It always turns out cute and I think it is a great top for little girls in the summer. I can't wait to see my niece in this one!
Drawstring Bag
My next favorite pattern is the Lined Drawstring Bag by Jeni of In Color Order. This is a pattern that my daughter and I turn to when she has friends over and they need a project to do. I let them look through my fabrics and pick out what they like and they each make their own bag. For most of the girls, it's their first time sewing and it's been an easy and quick project to do (with some guidance). I've also made quite a few of these for myself (like the one above that's holding a crocheting project) and I also use them for gift bags.
Jane Market Totes - a
The last pattern that I've found very useful is the Jane Market Bag by Alicia Paulson. I've made several of these bags over the past couple years and it's become a favorite of mine to throw stuff in for soccer practice or for day trips out with the kids. It's really the perfect size tote bag, not too big or too small!
Jane Market Totes - b
I alter the pattern a little bit by lengthening the straps and by using a layer of fusible fleece on the outside fabric of the bag. I like the way the fusible fleece helps hold the bag up when it's empty and how it gives it a little more structure.
Jane Market Totes - c
These bags were made using up the last bits of County Fair Home Dec fabric that I've had for a long time. I'll keep them on hand for when I need a gift for teachers or friends. Everyone likes a new tote bag, right?!

I hope you have enjoyed seeing a few of my favorite (non-quilty) sewing patterns!
Happy Sewing!
~Jessica

7 comments:

Jeni said...

Oh you are so sweet! I love all your pretty bags, that county fair is perfect for the Jane bag! :)

Jane said...

Welcome back! You were missed!
I have the Market Bag pattern and the fabric. You've inspired me to make one and use the fleece!
Jane

Alisa said...

Glad to see you back! The top is really cute!

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

I love them all! Thanks!!

Live a Colorful Life said...

I have Jeni's pattern, but I'm sure I need to get the other two.

doodlebugmom said...

love them all!

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

glad to see you back. hope all is well. I need to make myself a jane market bag... or 6 :)