Thursday, May 17, 2012

stitching on the trip around the world

trip around the world - basting
After a long break of working on this quilt, I pulled it out yesterday and got it ready for basting and quilting! The colors are so cheerful and fresh, I thought it would be nice to work on it while it is still a little cool and spring like outside.
 trip around the world - quilting
A few weeks ago I picked up some Quilters Dream Cotton Request batting at a new little quilt shop in a town near by. I've read that this batting is good for hand quilting... and it's true. The needle slid through the layers so easily and it's been much easier on my hands. The batting is super soft, too.
I'm working on this quilt just by holding it on my lap. I don't have a frame to hold it in and it seems to be going just fine (so far). It sure kept me warm while stitching and watching a little American Idol last night!
~Jessica

19 comments:

Kelsey said...

This is one of my favorite quilts! Can't wait to see the finished product. Your hand sewing looks great so far :)

randi--i have to say said...

Oh wow, this is so pretty! Those colors are so happy!

doodlebugmom said...

super pretty!

Chrissie Grace said...

I'm drooling over here!

Katie said...

Beautiful! The hand stitching makes it extra special :-)

Angela {fussycut} said...

Gorgeous! I love that you are hand stitching this. :)

Carolyn said...

I love all the colors in this quilt!

Sharon T said...

Love your quilt! I have ben using Quilters Dream Request and Select for about 5 years now. It is fabulous!

Svetlana said...

This is such a gorgeous quilt and the hand stitching is adding even more beauty to the whole look.

Tamie said...

Can't wait to see it finished. The colors are so pretty.

Modern Amish said...

Very nice! I love the hand stitching. The pearle cotton thread seams to work easier without the frame for me too.

Scooquilt said...

This is beautiful. I haven't hand quilted in ages, but I used to do it at spring baseball games, and the other parents were jealous of my warmth!

Heidi Staples said...

Gorgeous! I can't wait to see it when it's done!

Sonya said...

I started my day with a smile, thanks to pictures of your gorgeous quilt in my inbox! It is truly beautiful!

Carrie P. said...

Beautiful! Love the big stitch!
I don't use and don't really like a frame when I am quilting. Do what is most comfortable.

Jenn said...

I really like this quilt you've made! Makes me want to do a Trip around the World....almost! :)
I do all my hand stitching in my lap, too, without a hoop and rarely ever have trouble.

Jacey said...

It is beautiful! I'm glad you're enjoying the process!

Heather said...

You are hand stitching it?! *dies*

It's amazing!

ktquilts said...

Great quilt, just love your fabric choices. Some of my favorites are in there.