Tuesday, June 5, 2012

my trip is complete!

trip around the world quilt
It's finished, finished, finished! :)
I am so happy with this one. Right now, it has to be the quilt that I like the most of all the quilts I've made over the years! Why?... I think it's the colors, the simple design & the quilting. Pretty much all of it!
trip around the world quilt - b

trip around the world quilt - c
It seems like it's taken me a long time to finish this one up! Lately, I'm kind of in the mood to finish up some sewing projects because I'd really like to start some new ones. But that may all change when the kids are out of school for the summer. It seems like the start of summer break is filled with excitement and happiness that the regular routine is ending and sad at the same time that the regular routine is ending and we have a new one about to start.
trip around the world quilt - a
Anyway, back to the quilt. This one is made up of so many of my favorite fabrics. I started out by cutting up squares and placing them on the floor in the different rounds. I was surprised at how many times I cut up a chunk of fabric and just had enough to make it around. All the fabrics came from my stash. The only thing I had to buy for the quilt was the batting. I'm definitely on a kick to try and use up the stash.
trip around the world quilt - e
Once I started quilting it, it really only took a couple of evenings to finish it up. I was surprised at how quickly the quilting went. Here's a link at the Molly Flanders blog with how to do the pick stitch quilting with perle cotton. It was a great help to me in getting started and figuring out how to hide the knotted ends of the perle cotton. Although, I didn't use a frame to hold the quilt while quilting. I just held it on my lap and turned it as needed. That worked good for me.
trip around the world quilt - d
 Happy Sewing!
~Jessica

quilt stats:

size: approx. 66" x 66"

pattern: postage stamp from the book called "The Gentle Art of Quiltmaking" by Jane Brocket (otherwise known as a "trip around the world" design)

fabrics: many, many of my very favorites from designers such as Heather Bailey, Sandi Henderson, Camille Roskelley, Denyse Schmidt, Violet Craft, Urban Chicks, Amy Butler & I think that center square is by Erin McMorris

batting: Quilters Dream Cotton Request (I'll use this again for hand quilting, it was wonderful to use!)

Finca perle cotton for pickstitch quilting

50 comments:

Kelsey said...

Stunning!!! I love it :)

Jennifer @ Ellison Lane Quilts said...

Jessica, it is just beautiful! i love the colors and the fabrics and the design is so pretty. I can see why it is your favorite! Well done!

Michelle said...

just love it! totally inspired to make my own trip now xx

Anne said...

Wow! It looks so cute and fun!

Marika said...

Wow, it's beautiful !!
I love how the colors are so soft, I can see why it's you're favorite !!

Cindy said...

It's gorgeous! Definitely one of my favorite patterns and your fabrics are wonderful!

Patchwork and Play said...

This quilt is wonderful! From the photos, up close the colours are so rich and vibrant, but then from afar they all blend and glow! Stunning! And all the nicer for the hand quilting too!

Patchwork and Play said...

This quilt is wonderful! From the photos, up close the colours are so rich and vibrant, but then from afar they all blend and glow! Stunning! And all the nicer for the hand quilting too!

niveas said...

you've well done that quilt! It's so simple and because of that and your bright fabric choice so nice to have a look on it!
just lovely!

Little Island Quilting said...

Fabulous. Often the simplest quilts are the best quilts.

Carrie P. said...

Well done! love it and the binding fabric is perfect.

Suburban Stitcher said...

it's absolutely gorgeous! congrats on a fabulous finish!

Angela {fussycut} said...

Gorgeous! Must feel so nice to have it done!

Jeni said...

Oh Jessica, love this quilt so much! Congratulations on the big finish! :)

LaNell said...

My local library didn't have Jane Brocket's book so I took a chance and bought it from Amazon. LOVE IT! and love your version of her postage stamp quilt.

tracy_a said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

RWL said...

wow! this is stunning! i think i might have to make one... :-)

randi--i have to say said...

This is such a pretty quilt. The colors are perfection!

Melissa Corry said...

It is absolutely lovely!!! I bet it is one of your favorites :) So happy and full of color :)

QuiltyGirl said...

I love this! It makes me want to start cutting for my own trip around the world quilt! Maybe I will make a mini... :)

Gnomemade said...

Absolutely stunning! Love the colors and the design.

doodlebugmom said...

Beautiful!

Judith said...

This is a beautiful quilt. I love it.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a stunning quilt! The colours are fantastic!

Megan said...

I really, really love this. Like, a lot :)

traceyjay said...

it's awesome.
My favorite quilts to see (and think about) these days are the ones that are just made with what people love... and this just couldn't be better...
beautiful!
(and pretty photo too...)

ktquilts said...

Incredible quilt.

Leslie said...

this is lovely.. i love the bright fun colors

Jeanie said...

That is one of the most awesome quilts I have ever seem! The colors are so great-a very happy quilt:) I would treasure it forever.

Lindsey said...

This is beautiful! And thanks for the link to the hand quilting tips--I'm going to work up the courage to try it soon! :)

Aunt Spicy said...

totally gorgeous!

Marian said...

BEAUTIFUL! what an awesome finish!

Svetlana said...

This is one amazingly gorgeous quilt!

Aimee said...

It's really, really lovely. Fantastic job!

Anna said...

Love Trip Around the World quilts, love your fabrics, love the quilting!

Domina said...

Jane Brocket's book is one I look at every time I'm at BN. It's the hand quilting that draws me in every time! I should just buy a copy already! Your quilt is lovely and captures the true spirit of Brocket's quilts. Great Job!

Alisa said...

It may be simple pattern but your quilt is anything but simple. It is lovely all around. How big are the squares?

Mary said...

Yay! It looks great! I love all the wonderful colors and patterns! This will be great pick stitched with perle cotton. So happy the tute helped! I have a couple more tips though....since I wrote that tutorial, I have discovered Fons and Porter Utility Needles. They are perfect for size 8 perle cotton! You can find them in Jo-Anns. Also I have fallen in love with the Nimble Thimble! I have small fingers and this thimble fits wonderfully. Happy stitching!!! Mary@mollyflanders.....

Sonya said...

This quilt is SO beautiful! I was so inspired that I went straight to Amazon and bought the book. I must make this quilt, although I'm sure mine won't look half as good as yours.

Lisa C said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I'm not sure I would have the patience to use such small pieces but your end result would be worth it. Love the quilting. Great job!

M&M Quilt & Embroidery Projects said...

Where do you get the perle cotton you used for the quilting?

Franziska said...

It looks great. I am amazed about how perfectly the squares are placed and sewn. Mine always shift a bit. Great work.

Jacey said...

It's just so awesome! I love the quilting, and you're right. It's just a happy quilt! Yay for a big finish! I'm in the same mood to finish some things, although, I'm already starting some new things. ;)

Live a Colorful Life said...

Beautiful quilt. And I'm glad Mary recommended a good needle for perle cotton.

Modern Amish said...

absolutely fabulous!

CitricSugar said...

It's absolutely gorgeous! Nice to see it all finished.

Kristin said...

This turned out so beautiful!

Cille said...

It makes me smile.... big :) What a wonderful quilt.

Cille said...

It makes me smile.... big :) What a wonderful quilt.

Teje said...

Hi! Sorry I haven't been here for a while! Now I have so much to see and enjoy! This quilt is super beautiful and on the top of my favourite list! I like simple square patterns with lots of colours and busy prints! Adorable colours! x Teje