Friday, June 8, 2012

Weekend Sewing & Reading

The last 5 Farmer's Wife blocks
Earlier in the week, I finished up the last 5 blocks needed for my Farmer's Wife Quilt. It feels great to have that portion of the quilt done!
All 50 blocks
Here they are all together. I accidentally made 51 blocks, so one of them got switched out for another that I didn't like so much.
weekend sewing
And last night I cut out the sashing and setting triangles. I decided on a combination of the creamy crosshatch fabric and the brown bubble dots. I thought I might use the cream for the sashing, but I didn't have enough yardage to do that. So, this is how it will be! It's very much like the example quilt in the book. My blocks are much brighter in color, but the sashing and setting blocks appear to be the same colors. I suppose that will keep my quilt very traditional in design. Thank you to all who gave opinions about sashing... it was a great help to see what others think about this. I'm anxious to see how it will come together with all the crazy colors & patterns!
weekend reading
I've got some good reading material for the weekend, too (the top six are from the library). Lately, I'm getting more interested in photography. I have a new camera and really want to spend some time taking better pictures and learning all about photography. Along with a good dose of sewing and quilting books, I'm set. All I need is a comfy chair in the shade!
Hope you have an enjoyable weekend!
~Jessica

13 comments:

Angie said...

The brown and cream look great. It's going to be a beautiful quilt.

Maureen Cunningham said...

You can't go wrong with any book by Scott Kelby.

M&M Quilts & Embroidery said...

I like the brown as the sashing and the cream as the other. What patter are you using for the farmers quilt? Is this from a book.

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

I have the top book (the three of them) too, they're good! I'd love to have a look at that Liberty book.

I like your sashing choice - it really lets your blocks shine. The colour and cross hatching add just enough interest without making it too busy.

If you get stuck for a post topic I'd love to hear how you find your Janome? I'm trying to settle on a new machine to buy and am having a hard time deciding!

Carrie P. said...

Congrats on having all the blocks done. I think they look great with that brown sashing.

Cassandra said...

Beautiful blocks!! Your quilt is going to be gorgeous.

Danielle Hudson said...

You quilt is going to be stunning!

Tsoniki Crazy Bull said...

I have yet to start my Farmer's Wife blocks. I have fabric picked out though, so that's 1/3 of the battle. LOL I can't wait until we move so I can join the library. I am seeing a lot of really great books and need to see them in person!

MaryAnnB said...

Congratulations on finishing your FW blocks and already getting it sewn together!! I've noticed on your stack of books Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure. It's the first book I recommend to anyone who wants to learn about photograph! If you seriously go thru the book and do all his 'lessons', you will have an excellent foundation to be able to use your camera to it's fullest!! HAVE FUN!

machen und tun said...

Wow, you do have a great library with a choice of books like that :-)
And the quilt will be beautiful - i just can´t believe you did all those tiny blocks, they look absolutely wonderful!!!!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a gorgeous set of blocks! They will look fantastic in the setting you have chosen :-)

Mary said...

Love your Farmers Wife blocks! The setting triangles and sashing are perfect!!!

Jacey said...

I'm so excited to see this finished, although probably not as excited as you. That looks like a great stack of books; I've got a few of those on my list as well.