Thursday, September 13, 2012

Cosmos Pillow

Cosmos Pillow
I've had these fabrics sitting out on my sewing desk waiting for them to be sewn into something fun! Laura Gunn was kind enough to send me some charms of her pretty new line of fabric called Cosmos. I always like to use this as an opportunity to try something new and see what I can make out of them. But it is a little intimidating... I don't want to mess it up since I won't have a chance to re-cut anything.
Laura's collection has twenty patterned fabrics and ten textures called Painter's Canvas. The colors are bright and cheerful... just what I like. I think the fabric designs will be very versatile... from home decor projects to tote bags to quilts! You can see all of the fabrics in the collection here.
Cosmos Pillow - side a
Our washing machine broke this past weekend, so while my husband was taking it apart and trying to fix it, I spend quite a bit of time sewing and piecing together this pillow top. I thought that creating something a little more modern and artistic would work well with these fabrics and push me out of my comfort zone.
Cosmos Pillow - side b
It just happens that the pillow blends in really well with the pillows already on my couch and I love how it's turned out! yay!
Cosmos Pillow - back
An extra piece of linen became the backing... I even kept the selvage edge that has a couple of red threads running through it.
Cosmos pillow blocks - a
While constructing the blocks, I cut them all into three pieces and exchanged the centers to mix them up.
Cosmos pillow blocks - b
After they were all sewn back together, I cut them into three pieces again and exchanged the centers. I ended up with nine-patch blocks that were all composed a little off center. I used 25 of the blocks to make a pillow cover that's about 18" square.
Happy Sewing!
~Jessica

12 comments:

randi--i have to say said...

This pillow is very pretty! I love the colors!

Johanna said...

Love the pillow!

April said...

The squares are so tiny! very lovely, great colors! :)

MM Quilts and Embroidery said...

Just gorgeous! What a cute idea!

CJ said...

Very nice!

Domina said...

oh, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this pillow! And the colors would look great in my living room too. I'll have to hunt down my own charm pack soon.

I'm curious about the owl in the background...more details?

mindingmomma said...

stunning

giddy99 said...

It's wonderful! I was wondering how you got all of those little tiny squares together, and then I saw the explanation! :)

Sara said...

Beatiful!

Eileen Gianiodis said...

I've been waiting for this fabric. Where did you get it?

Heidi Staples said...

I think this is my favorite thing I've seen made with this fabric line yet -- beautiful!

TheSewingLoft said...

I love this! The colors are so bright and fresh.
~Heather