Friday, September 20, 2013

Hello!

Hello! How are you?
I can't believe it's been almost a year since I said good bye. In some ways it just seems like yesterday! I never thought my time would go by so quickly but it seems like once the kids go back to school the weeks fly by. 
I haven't done a whole lot of sewing since last year, but I have jumped in with both feet into knitting. It's been a really fun hobby to pick up again. I had knit a little bit when I was quite young and now it's been a great activity for me to take along to all those sports practices and when I help the kids with homework in the evenings. I can be right there by them to answer questions but not looking over their shoulder all the time.
_MG_0670
I wanted to stop by today and share a sewing project that I've been working on! I started this earlier in the summer and I finished up the piecing of it earlier this week. It really shouldn't have taken me this long to do as I used a fusible grid interfacing to help adhere the fabric squares to before stitching the rows and columns. I think the squares finish at 1.5" so fusing them to the interfacing really helped stabilize the fabric and make for good connections in the corners.
The design came from using the V&A Patchwork Pattern Maker. It's where you can upload a drawing or picture and it makes a pixelated quilt pattern for you. The fabrics are from Laura Gunn's collection called EDGES for Michael Miller Fabrics. They're perfect for this quilt top... lots of textures, blenders and tonal designs!
I may add a solid cream border around it all before getting it ready for quilting but I have to check the wall where I want to hang it to see if there's room.

So, I'm thinking about writing some posts this fall. I've been looking at a few unfinished quilt tops (like my Farmer's Wife one) and I'd really like to get that quilted so we can use it. Maybe my desire to do a little sewing will come back after all!
~Jessica

9 comments:

Discoknits said...

Beautiful quilt. Do show us your knitting too :0)

the Domina said...

Welcome back! Can't wait to see what you sew and knit.

Amiechan said...

Welcome back! :D

Glinda ♥ said...

Welcome back! And what a cute quilt to return with. I wonder how many of us have an unfinished Farmers Wife? Really must complete mine too :)

Annabella said...

Welcome back!! I had no idea about the V&A tool - what a great idea!

Rosebud said...

Welcome back into the group.
I'm just beginning to quilt and love the one you show. Is there a way you could show us the pattern? I don't think I could make one using 1-1/2" blocks but I might be able to manage a bit larger ones. It truly is gorgeous!
Thank you!

Melia Mae Quilting said...

Welcome back! I can't believe those squares are only an inch and a half! That is tiny! Totally cute!

Blue.Ridge.Girl said...

So nice to see a post on your blog again! I did a lot of stalking on your twinfibers blog when I first started quilting :o) Love the information about creating pixelated pictures...I work in technology education so I can see where a little wall hanging made this way would be fun for my office.

Foolish Feathers said...

Welcome back!!!!