Tuesday, November 26, 2013

a new quilt start

Field Day fabrics
Field Day fabrics by Josephine Kimberling for Blend
I hadn't purchased many new fabrics in the past year or so, but when I came across these a few weeks ago I had to get a little bit of them. I adore that print on the top of the pile. The gray background with the white circles in different designs just reminded me of chalkboard designs that are so hot right now. It's so cute with all the butterflies, lady bugs and strawberries. Totally a summery print but I love working with it when it's snowing and freezing outside anyway!
Field Day quilt blocks - a
I started sketching and figuring out some math so that I could use some of the prints together in a quilt. I wanted to keep the large print as a focal point with lots of white in the block and this is what I came up with.
Field Day quilt block - c
I think it's turning out pretty fun! The blocks are going to be large... this one is 18.5" square. I figure if I make 9 blocks with some sort of sashing, it will end up being a pretty good sized quilt. I'm waiting on some more fabrics so I can finish up sewing the blocks together, but it's fun to see a sketch of mine come together in a quilt block!
Happy Sewing,
~Jessica

16 comments:

MeganW said...

I really like this. I think the designing stage is one of the most fun. And picking fabrics. You've done a great job with both here!

diplofam said...

LOVE!

Anonymous said...

Love your block. You should make a pattern. A quilt along something as it is beautiful. Glad your back to blogging. Where do you get your labels? They are really nice in that pouch.

Teresa teequilts@bellsouth.net

Cindy said...

Pretty! Pretty!

Melia Mae Quilting said...

Beautiful!

Theresa said...

Your block and fabrics are so pretty...I'm inspired and I think you need to write a pattern Jessica. (I hope that doesn't come across too bossy like I'm telling you you have to!) Theresa

Lindsey said...

What a beautiful block! I love it!

Paula said...

I love your block! This will be so pretty all sewn together into a quilt!

Amber said...

I love it! I want to make it along with you! I say "Sew Along!"

Amber :)

Barbara McD said...

Beautiful job of piecing! Hope someone does an equally awesome job of quilting the quilt!

Carla said...

That is a great block design! Are you thinking of sharing the pattern with the rest of us, somehow? Pretty please? :)

Auntie Pami said...

This very pretty, a great way for busy/florals.

Krista Hansen said...

So impressive!!! It is seriously stunning! I'm so grateful that some people, like you, have the brains and creativity to design quilts and some of us have the desire to follow the pattern.
I'm so glad to see you blogging again and see all the pretty things you're sewing!

Jessica Kovach said...

Thank you so much everyone for the kind comments! I am thinking about a pattern... it's been a goal of mine for quite a while, I just need to get it going. Looks like I have some good goals for the new year. Thank you for joining me in this space!

Suzanne Lawrence said...

This is so beautiful!

Helen said...

I have just discovered your blog while searching for a quilt design with large prints. Your design would be perfect for the lovely pile of fat quarters I bought today, I do so hope that you decide to share the pattern soon!