Friday, February 21, 2014

A Slipcovered Chair Makeover

My mom purchased this chair for me a little while ago at a thrift store. It was in need of a good cleaning but the lines of it were cute. I really liked the turned spindles of the arms and detail on the front legs. It looks as though someone recovered the chair recently in the dark upholstery fabric; which is fine, but I wanted a more lightened up look.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about starting my own custom slipcovering business since slipcovering my couch (which I am going to!) and this project gave me a little more practice and would help me decide if that is something I would love doing! My youngest child is going to be starting Kindergarten this fall and I've been thinking and praying a lot about what that means for me. I'd love to be able to use my sewing talents and still be able to be around for my kids when they need me. I'm very excited about this adventure and I know it's going to be something that I'll enjoy working at!
If you're in the West Michigan (Holland, Grand Haven, Zeeland area) and would like something custom slipcovered, I'd love to start working with you. You can reach me at twinfibers@gmail.com.
Back to the chair for a little bit...
Here it is with a finished slipcover and a fresh coat of chalk paint and wax!
I needed to use a double layer of the white fabric so that the dark upholstery didn't show through.

The ties help hold the covers on the chair back and seat.
It was a fun chair to transform and there's quite the difference between the before and after!
This past weekend, I needed a little sewing project just for fun. I pulled out all the selvages I had stashed away and started sewing them together.
It's fun to dig through that pile and see all the little bits of fabric that I've used over the years.
I made a couple zippy pouches to stash away as future gifts. (They're made using Anna's tutorial over at Noodlehead)
Up next is a chair that I slipcovered with a vintage barkcloth curtain. It's quite "granny chic" and very different. I still have to get used to it, but I think it's growing on me. Pictures and post coming up next week!
~Jessica

14 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

LOVE IT!!!

mylovelypatchworklife said...

Oh my goodness! I love the transformation!!!!! I wish I had furniture to slipcover and that I lived closer so I could have you work your magic! Thank you for sharing!

Melia Mae Quilting said...

Gorgeous! You definitely have a talent and I wish you the best on your future adventure:)

the Domina said...

Beautiful! Wished I lived closer so you could do some slip covering for me. :) Love the paint color on the chair.

Anne said...

Nice job with the chair. What type of chalk paint did you use?

Blue.Ridge.Girl said...

This little chair is fabulous with its new look! So exciting to hear about your business plans :) God is so amazing when it comes to the details of our lives!

Karen said...

Your slipcovering skills are incredible! It is a hard thing to do! What a great chair :)

Anonymous said...

This is the EXACT slip cover I have visioned for a chair I have. I am in NY, IF I could send photos and measurements would you consider making it for me? I am new to sewing and just know I won't do it this way. I felt like you read my mind... Haha

My email is bellaknack@yahoo.com

Please let me know, thank you!

Angela

Elizabeth Jernigan said...

The slip covering is extremely professional looking. Wish you were close to me!

Elizabeth Jernigan said...

What kind of fabric did you use and where did you buy it?

slipcoverstudio said...

Great job on that slipcover - love all the little details! I started my slipcover business 2 1/2 years ago and I love it :) All the best to you!

Shelley Anderson said...

You did such a great job! Those wood arm chairs can be challenging! You definitely have skills to make the slipcover business a success!

Jessica Kovach said...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!!!
Elizabeth: The fabric is from my local fabric shop (Field's Fabrics in Spring Lake, MI). I found it in the sale area. It's like a cotton canvas and was about $4.00/yd. :)

Anna said...

I saw your ticking couch slipcover on another post too - your work is so good! I hope you do make a go of the custom upholstery business and I bet you will be very successful!!