Friday, February 7, 2014

shawl knitting

I finished up this knitting project a little while ago but just took some pictures of it this week. We had one day this week with a couple hours of sunshine (it was so nice!) so I pulled out the camera and took some pictures. 
Over the past year or so, I've knit quite a few shawls. I never thought I would like wearing one but now I've figured out how I like to wear them (with the point in the front) and they really do keep me extra warm in the winter.
This one is called the Bees to Honey Shawl. Super simple to knit the body part and then the lace at the end gives you something to concentrate on while knitting. I knit mine out of Plucky Single yarn; it's a fingering weight yarn with a little silk in it. It's really nice and soft and I love the little bit of shine that the silk gives to the yarn.
This is the project that I'm currently working on. The pattern is called Cameo and I'm just to the point of starting the last section that's a lace border. This one has been fun because it's constructed a little differently starting from one point and increasing all the time getting you to one of the three edges (for a triangular shawl)... hopefully that makes sense.
The section I just finished was alternating stripes of the blue and oatmeal color. I'm not sure you can see from the pictures, but the slight variegation in these hand dyed yarns are so pretty (I'm using Luna Grey Aquila in Harbor and Plucky Feet in Oatmeal). The color combination I choose here reminds me so much of the beach. It's been so nice to work with such calming colors. Hopefully I'll have time to do some knitting this weekend. I'm looking forward to watching some of the Olympics and this will be good tv knitting.
~Jessica

4 comments:

Melia Mae Quilting said...

The first one turned out gorgeous! That sounds like a perfect project while watching the Olympics!

carol fun said...

LOVE the shawls...your color choices are perfect!

wipgirl said...

They're both lovely! I really like the shade of green in the first one, and the calming colours in the second are pretty much my bedroom in shawl form :D

Jackie - Luna Grey Fiber Arts said...

Very pretty, Jessica! I love the Oatmeal that you paired with the Harbor. The combination is so soft and soothing. Just lovely!!!