Monday, March 24, 2014

a new quilt start

Over the past week or so, I've been working on piecing a new quilt top. I put together this collection of 5" squares in this pretty array of spring like colors. It took me a couple of days to decide what to do with them, but I finally decided on this "trip around the world" or "granny square" design.
I think I'll let the pictures do the talking on this post! I think it's fun to see the evolution of this quilt top.




And here's where I left off this past weekend. I decided to set all the blocks on point and I really like how that leaves a white border around the edge of the quilt. From my calculations, it will be about 56" square when it's finished. Hopefully a good lap quilt size!
I've been busy getting everything in order for my slipcovering business, too. A couple weeks ago, I purchased an industrial sewing machine! I'm getting used to it and will do a post about it soon. It's a little different than my home sewing machines, and I can tell it's going to be perfect for making slipcovers.
I hope you're having a great start to the week! I woke up to more snow this morning. Ugh!
~Jessica

6 comments:

suemac said...

Love your colorful granny squares. Good luck with the slipcover business.

Sinta Renee said...

I love your version of a granny square! Your quilt is gorgeous! I have thought about making slipcovers for my furniture... it seems to be always on my back burner! Good luck in your adventure... I can't wait to see your posts on your business!!!

Penny Huck said...

I love the colors and I love how it is coming together. I agree with your decision to set the blocks on point. Very nice.

Linda said...

Ah! so pretty!
Thanks for sharing!

msstitcher1214@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Love this! I've been eying Granny Square quilts for the last few weeks but haven't settled on a pattern yet. I like you had the choice to either set your blocks on point or leave them straight.
Would you mind sharing your pattern/process, please? Thanks! Kym

Elizabeth Jernigan said...

Beautiful work. I would love to make a quilt one of these days.