Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Granny Chic Slipcovered Chair


This slipcover started with an old drapery panel that I bought at a thrift store quite a few years ago! I came across it a few weeks ago when I was doing some cleaning and was either going to get rid of it or put it to good use. It provided a good way to get some more slipcover practice.
The curtain is made of a barkcloth fabric so it has a nice texture to it. There were two and a half widths of fabric sewn together, so I was hoping there would be enough fabric to make it all work (I'm thinking there was maybe 7 yards of fabric). Turns out that I had to piece the piping in many places but I was able to cut out all the panels out of a solid width of fabric. The skirt at the bottom is pieced together in many places, but I figured since it was gathered you wouldn't notice all the seams.
There's lots of piping in this slipcover and I debated about adding the piping along the arms (because I thought I would run out of fabric), but I'm so glad that I did. It looks much better that way.
This is the view going into my sun porch (but we use it mostly for a homework/computer room). It's turning out to be quite "granny chic". It's pretty fun and I'm liking the change to the chair cover more every day. It's quirky, different and gives off a vintage/retro feel that I like. 
Here's the chair with the curtain draped over it before I got started. I took out the hem, pleated top and side seams so that I could use every available inch of fabric. Of course I had to work around some faded and torn areas but I sure made the best of what was left and I really like how it all came together!
~Jessica

10 comments:

Karenkay said...

Wow! It looks amazing!!

Leslie said...

this is the best granny chair i have ever seen

Gnomemade said...

That's fantastic!

Susanne said...

It came out great!

Jacki said...

I agree! I looks amazing!!!!

Patti said...

I agree too ��

Bonny said...

WOW! I am so impressed!
It looks fabulous - love the colors!

felice said...

Wow! You are really fast! Looks great.

Vicki said...

Its amazing! I would like to see the scrap pile afterwards. LOL Hey you could make a coaster or table square out of the leftovers.

Anna said...

wow! you are really a whiz at the piping!