Friday, October 3, 2014

This week...

Today it's cold, windy and rainy outside. It's very much a fall day here in West Michigan. I've got a little one home sick from school and I think I'm going to enjoy a day inside with him. This afternoon I have apples to make into applesauce so that should make the little guy happy.

This week I've been sewing quite a bit. I've had fat quarters of Up Parasol by Heather Bailey for a little while and have been wanting to make something with it. I came up with this simple baby quilt and I think it shows off the larger scaled prints pretty well.
I mixed in other Heather Bailey fabrics from various collections and they all go together really well. It sure is a girly quilt top! I choose some minky fabric for the backing (in the top picture). I haven't used that for a quilt backing but I thought I'd give it a try with a small quilt. I'm not sure how it will be to quilt with but it sure is soft. I wish I had a little batting in the house to baste it up with...I always need something that I don't have at home to finish a project! ;)

Over the past week or so, I've been working on pulling together fabrics for a quilt for a client. She sent me a picture of a quilt that she loved and I've been trying to match fabrics to the picture. The pattern is called Remember Whooo Loves You by the Acorn Quilt & Gift Company. It's so cute with the owl applique. 
I've altered the pattern and dimensions of everything to make it approximately a full size quilt. The center part is sewn together and now I just need to add the owl and branch applique.
These are the fabrics for the rest of the quilt. The bottom two are border fabrics (the small seeds as an inner border and the dots as a large outer border) and the rest are for the owl and branches. I'm hoping to finish up the quilt top this weekend so I can bring it to be custom quilted next week. Should be a gorgeous quilt!

Have a great weekend and thanks for visiting with me here!
~Jessica

5 comments:

suemac said...

Love the fabrics for your custom quilt.

Anita C said...

Love the "girly" quilt. Great way to fussy cut the large print. Also always a fan of the yellow & greys...

Teresa Pearce said...

The girly quilt is just too cute. I have to ask though, how do you get the quilt top so flat? Your seams and everything look amazing!

Glinda ♥ said...

Your quilts always look so crisp and fresh - very lovely. Hope the little one is feeling better :)

Jessica Kovach said...

Thank you everyone for the kind comments!
Teresa,
I like to starch my fabrics and press them before cutting them out. I think that helps a lot with everything staying square and flat. :)